Monday, July 9, 2007

Roast Beef with Burnt Butter Mash & Bak Choy

I recently got a hankering for good ole roast beef. Before moving to Canada, I had never made roast beef before. Didn't know how easy it was until Reno Man's mum taught me how and I have been making it the same way ever since.

I normally buy an oven roast from Costco and season it with salt and pepper. Then I make somewhat of a crust/paste for the top using French onion soup. I make it into a thick paste and spread it on top of my roast and put it into the oven for 20 mins at 450F and then turn it down to 375F for the next 25-35 mins depending on the size of roast. I always use a temperature gauge to make sure I get the meat cooked exactly medium rare.

While the roast coooks, I made mashed potatoes and added melted butter that I browned over the stove in a pot. Ofcourse I added some milk, salt and pepper to taste. The burnt butter just adds a buttery nutty flavour to the mash that I love.

For the bak choy, all I did was to wash the veggie and put it into a steamer. Once it was cooked, I added a splash of onion oil, oyster sauce, soya sauce and sesamee oil. Mixed it well and its ready to serve.

Since I love gravy with my mash and meat, I made a green peppercorn sauce using the beef drippings and a regular mix. I love how the pink tenderness of the meat show through, sitting on top of the bak choy and mash. A lovely meal that leaves lots for roast beef sandwiches the next day. The extra gravy makes the sandwiches just perfect.

3 comments:

Livingsword said...

Looks great Asian Butterfly. Guess what you have been tagged! Visit my blog http://lifeontheblade.blogspot.com/ to learn what you have to do!

Caine said...

I am very impressed with the presentation of the dish. Do you work at a restaurant?

I'm not familiar at all with bak choy. I've had it many times, in a variety of asian dishes. How easy is it to use? Where is it used most?

I realize my comments come in fairly late. Forgive me.

Asian Butterfly said...

Thanks for the lovely compliment Caine, but no I do not work at a restaurant. I just watch alot of Food Network on tv!*grin*

Bak Choy is really easy to work with. You can throw it into any of your stir fries or noodles. Of serve them on their own as a veggie dish, steamed with a little oyster sauce, sliced ginger, soya sauce and a hint of sugar.