Thursday, July 19, 2007

Simple cooking for Robyn's Family

Some people might find it strange but I really enjoy cooking for families. In this case, my girlfriend, Robyn had gone with me to Eat-Vancouver earlier this year and when she purchased a bunch of Asian sauces and condiments, I told her that I would teach her how to use some of them. This was what I did this past week. Unfortunately, the day we chose to do this happened to be one of the hottest record breaking day of this summer, 37C. With no air conditioning and no breeze, we found it very hard to keep cool let alone cook, but we did manage. Mercifully, as the evening progressed, the temperatures started to drop a little. Not something I would like to do again. I mean cooking in such hot weather!

So I made 2 dishes. The first is just a simple mixed veg stirfry with prawns because Robyn wanted to learn how to make this. Next I made a simple fried noodles with chicken and bak choy. Both of these dishes were seasoned with oyster sauce, soya sauce and a dash of sesamee oil. The mixed veg recieved a little bit of Chinese cooking wine at the end of cooking while the noodles had some dark soya sauce and cilantro for garnishing. I think it was a hit but you never know it they were just being polite!

In exchange for cooking, I recieved 3 portions of bison meat. I'm already thinking of using it to make lettuce wraps! Not sure yet. I'll keep thinking.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

It was a hit all right with everyone! Thank you Asian Butterfly for your help, especially on such a hot day. Having a real live cooking lesson sure beats trying to decifer a cookbook. It was a real confidence booster. I will make it again soon while it is fresh in my mind.

Caine said...

So I've tried stirfry a few times. I'd like to think I've got the "basics" down, but I dont' seem to be able to make anything beyond the very general. Garlic and ginger tend to figure heavily, along with red pepper if I want spice. I'm aware that much stir fry involves "fish sauce," which I have. I'm wondering if you can give me an idea of the difference between that and oyster sauce? Or is it generally the same

Is "soya sauce" a typo for "soy sauce" or is there an ingredient I'm not aware of?

I've tried sesame oil in a few quick quick microwave rice meals. The flavor seems to overpower other things fairly easily. Suggestions?

Asian Butterfly said...

Hi Caine,
I'm no culinary chef but I'll try to answer your questions. Personally, I use a lot of garlic in my cooking but especially so in Chinese or Asian cooking. For spice, I prefer to use red pepper flakes or Siracha chili sauce or bird's eye chili. I use ginger only for certain recipes.

The simple difference between fish sauce and oyster sauce is what it is made of and its consistency. Both are salty but they do have different applications. I use fish sauce for Thai curries and any Asian noodle dish. Oyster sauce I use more for stir fries or veggies and meats. Thai food uses more fish sauce and Chinese food uses more oyster sauce. Not sure if that helps much.

Soya sauce is the same as soy sauce. Just like toMAEto or toMAHto.

Sesamee oil should be used sparingly as you have found out that it can be very overpowering. Just a couple of drops will sufice. Use it as a flavour enhancer and not to fry food. Try mixing it with come other vegetable oil like canola, corn or peanut. That will help to keep the sesamee falvour at bay. I hope that helps.

I'll have to get to your other comments tomorrow.