Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cod with Rice noodles and Pea shoots

I knew I wanted to have fish today but when Reno Man heard what I was planning to make for dinner, he said that he wasn't hungry because he was full from lunch. Indeed, we had gone out for a lovely lunch at Tropika, a Malaysian restaurant (my fav) and he really had alot to eat. We ordered sambal clams(Malaysian), nasi goreng (Indonesian), char hor fun (Cantonese) and for dessert bubur cha cha(Malay). Oh I forget. We also had roti prata (Indian).

So back to the fish. Although I knew I wanted to make fish for my dinner, I didn't know what kind of preparation I wanted. I was just going to throw the fish into some instant noodle soup but I thought I'd try making it from scratch. I found that it wasn't very difficult.

First I sauteed some minced garlic in a pot with a little oil. When golden, I added hot water, just enough for the soup base for the noodles. While I wait for it to come to a boil, I added seasonings of fish sauce, white pepper, sesamee oil, onion oil, seafood stock powder and soya sauce into the pot of water. When it came to the boil, I added my dried rice noodles, washed pea shoots and piece of cod. I let it gently cook. When the fish was cooked, I served it with fried onions and cilantro. As a dipping sauce, I sliced red chillies into a small sauce dish with soya sauce. I was surprised that it turned out so much like what I would find in Singapore.

When I sat down to eat it, Reno Man's interest perked up. So I asked if he would like a taste. He was sold on the first bite. Good thing I had made a little more than just one serving. So I shared my bowl of noodles. A good, healthy and simple meal.

4 comments:

Richard said...

Do you make something fabulous everyday? I wish I had your visions! And the names of the dishes always sound like they are straight from a high end restaurant.

Livingsword said...

Reading that article made me hungry. Speaking of fish dishes have you been to the Crab Shack lately?

Livingsword said...

By the way I love the new background color you put up for this blog, looks great!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.