Monday, May 7, 2007

West Restaurant, Vancouver, BC

WOW! My hunny and I went to this restaurant last night and it was fabulous! We even managed to sit at the chef's table. Its a booth that is close to the kitchen where you can see all the action first hand. It was certainly like ... watching an episode of Hell's kitchen (with out the swearing) or Top Chef or Iron Chef. The restaurant was running like a well oiled machine. The food was fantastic! Probably one of the best meals I have ever had. The service was impecable. Check out their website at http://www.westrestaurant.com/

This was a special occasion for us celebrating the day we got registered for marriage in Malaysia. Its been 4 years and also 4 years since I moved to BC, Canada.

We ordered a bottle of red wine, first courses were seared Quebec foie gras with candied grapes, honeycombed wine and lime syrup (I love foie gras) and my hunny had the spotted prawns(photo on right). Both were excellent. Then for the main, I had the organic Peking duck 2 ways with seared foie gras, carmelized endive and apricot jus(photo on left below) and hunny had Alberta prime beef with a warm salad of wild mushrooms, horseradish chantilly and red wine jellies. Again, just wonderful tasting dishes. I didn't manage to get very good pictures with each dish so I'm just showing the ones I got best.

Then ofcourse we must have dessert. My hunny being a great fan of green tea ice cream had that and I had the chocolate tasting menu. Ah! Chocolate girl would have been envious. Each bit oozed of a version of chocolate. The flat piece of chocolate dessert is a chocolate torte with candied almonds. The middle is a chocolate espresso cake with Bailey's ice cream. The combination was just spectacular. And the little cup is Manjari chocolate cappucino with mocha espuma. I finished it off with a glass of Quail's Gate late harvest Reisling. They weren't stingy with the serving of this either! This was the icing on the cake! Oh! what an evening. We were totally satisfied. A high quality restaurant definately to be recommended, a place we will visit again.


1 comment:

Livingsword said...

Sounds like quite the celebration, yummy food, thanks for the revue.